Bringing Back the Human Factor to Manufacturing
February 26, 2016
In an age of increasing technological sophistication in manufacturing processes, its people are the most important and valuable resource a company possesses. The human element is what dictates true operational efficiency – that is, if it can be optimally integrated into a business’ production practices.
Uniting the people to the process
Having effective MES software is not just about trusting your staff to oversee the production processes; it is about empowering your staff with an MES that specifically spotlights their abilities and personal performance levels. This approach is known as “human MES.”
The Best Human MES
The best human MES solution gets operators involved from the start and makes it easy to use the system. Everyone understands the need for the system, and is in no doubt about “what’s in it for them.” Being a part of the MES solution removes any morale-sapping doubts that result from lack of transparency between factory floor and management. It also gives staff the personal satisfaction of knowing that their actions have made a sincere difference to the company.
The MES software itself should automatically:
- Collect and collate all data acquired from the production process
- Analyze it on a web-based platform
- Help staff address key performance indicators from the production process
- Provide readily available information to factory floor staff through easy-to-use terminals and mobile devices
- Allow operators to monitor current efficiency by accessing relevant KPIs at the touch of a button
- Provide instant staff motivation, enabling them to see if they are hitting targets while allowing them to monitor production schedules and immediately disclose any errors or disruptions
- Review and analyze the data on a frequent basis, and use it to effect change in-shift and keep production tracking on a targeted course.
More than Software
A human MES solution is designed to be more than just a software system. It encourages a holistic approach to refining the manufacturing processes. A human MES encourages communication and operational optimization based on the intelligence achieved through the integration of the human and the machine.